Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Saturday, March 31, 2012

There's No Love Like Wheel Love


My MPC Street Fights are like a loyal lover, waiting patiently for me to sow my wild wheelie oats and return to them. They know that I love them, they are just waiting for me to realize it... And so I have.

I have tried a few different types of wheels, including the Bont HRR's. I honestly thought that they would win my heart. But they didn't. I skated a few times on them and did not feel the spark. The street fights are smooth and fast - and neon green. What's not to love?? I put them back on this morning, and knocked out 32.83 glorious miles... They are my absolute favorite wheels, so why keep looking?

My skate today was fantastic; I had a south westerly wind, so I knew it would be in my face on the way home - but I didn't care. I needed to get a distance skate under my belt. My original plan was 28 but when I hit that bridge, I just could not get myself to turn around. Not when downtown was sooo close... When I got to confluence park, I took off my skates for a few minutes. The balls of my feet weren't bothering me too much but I figured it couldn't hurt to give my feet some air and a good stretch. I was right about the wind, but I just didn't care. I have a 'summertime' playlist on my iPod that has about 400 songs on it - spanning from 1979 to 1989. I had that on random so my mind was very busy playing road trip through the past. I ignored the wind and the swarms of mosquitoes and just enjoyed myself.

My feet and calves were good until about the last 1.5 miles; and even then it wasn't too bad. Just a little burning in the balls of my feet. I think I might know what is causing it; my boots are pressing down on my big toes - to the point of wearing through the nails. I also have some hot spots on the sides of them (where my ginormous bunions are.) So I'm going to use a heat gun to spot mold that area and the area above my left inner ankle bone (I have a constant bruise there - no blisters or anything.) The spots on my heels haven't been an issue in a while so I must have corrected whatever was tearing them up.

I feel really great today! I've been eating really clean, and working out consistently: weight training and cardio. Next week is an active recovery week (no weights) and I'm looking forward to some variation. (Yoga, swimming; stuff like that.) If I can keep this up, I should be pretty lean and mean by Duluth...

So far I'm at 225 miles skated for the year; my best marathon time so far  is 1:44, half marathon is 48:38. I think that's pretty darn good for only being 3 months into the year... I don't have high expectations of myself for Texas - I hope to complete the marathon in 1:45 or less. I have 21 more days left to get ready for it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment