Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blow by Blow of a Tuesday Skate



Yes, the pun is intended. It's March, and it's windy every time I go out. I've decided to name the wind Olga. I visualize her as a huge Russian weight lifter who intends to whip me into shape, no matter how much it hurts. She shows no mercy. She ignores my anger and my frustration; and only howls louder when I feel like giving up. She relentlessly makes me work for every mile. I hate her when she's screaming in my face, but love her when she's got my back.

I did not feel like skating yesterday. I was tired and cranky. All I wanted to do after work was go home, put on some comfy sweats, grab some junk food; and watch a movie. (I was thinking 'Aliens'.) But - it was Tuesday, and as long as it's not raining, snowing, gale force winds or colder than 45 degrees; I skate on Tuesday. The weather was nice enough, upper 60's, a little overcast, and according to the weather dude - 'breezy'.

Parked my car, suited up (reluctantly - I'm still contemplating going back home to watch Aliens) - and hit the trail... Ooooh yeah. WIND. WIND WIND WIND. Right in my face. Olga was not going to let me sneak in a nice, easy skate - she was going to make me work for it. I wanted to get 10-15 miles but every time my GPS let me know a mile had passed, I resisted the urge to turn around... Below is a summary of my experience:

"I hate this! I hate my skates. I hate this season. I hate the wind. I am not having fun. I HATE THIS"
*swarm of gnats*
"I wish gnats had different flavors. Like Nerds"
*pass a bike*
"Sweet! I passed a bike!" *Granted, the rider was like a hundred and going about 2 mph... Grumble grumble*
*come up on a swarm of Grackles who circle my head angrily* - duck and skate through them.
"That was weird..."
Get passed by a pack of bikes who didn't even bother to give me a heads up - "On Your Left, you idiots!" I yell. They can't hear me though, because of the
*WIND WIND WIND WIND WIIIIIIIIIND*
"OMFG I hate this wind! I hate this day! If I were at home watching Aliens, I'd be at the part where Hudson whines 'game over man, game over!'...."
Pass two inline skaters. Happy to see more skaters, sad to see that their form is crap: but also feel envy because of their big, comfy cushy skates....
-- I swear at some point a jogger passed me ---- 
*another giant swarm of gnats*--
I can make it to the bridge. That puts me at about 11 miles round trip... I can make it... *come around the corner and see The Bridge*... Feel a tug of relief, my ride is half over.

Cross the bridge - Olga is now at my back. On the other side of the river is a brand new section of trail. It's wide, it's smooth, and it's pretty flat. I suddenly feel a burst of energy, I crank it up, I get low - and I feel like I'm flying. Now, I don't care about the stupid wind, or the pain in my feet and legs, or the fact that I'm tired and whiny. I get a huge smile on my face - big mistake *swarm of gnats* (I seriously wish they were fruit flavored.)

The ride back was awesome. There was a goose laying in the middle of the trail; I passed her so fast that she didn't even react. (Either that or she was laying an egg - I couldn't really tell...) I passed more bikes, and the bikes who passed me had to work for it, and they let me know it.

"Awesome skating" says one dude.
"Great Cadence!" says another dude
"I've been trying to catch you for a mile!!" says yet another.
And then there were a couple who never caught up to me... I wonder what they were thinking...

End of ride, check my GPS. I tracked 11.45 miles in 48 mins/32 seconds. My mph average was 14.2, I felt pretty happy with that.

I wanted to high five Olga. She's like that personal trainer you hate but can't stop going back to. Eventually she won't be a factor, but I'm hoping that skating in the wind is making me stronger... (Feels like it's doing SOMETHING because nothing wears me out faster!!) I can't wait until she's gone though - because when there is no wind, I am definitely faster... (and Fast = Fun...)

Tomorrow is Thursday... and as long as it's not raining, snowing, gale force winds or colder than 45 degrees; I skate on Thursdays... (Here we go again...)



2 comments:

  1. Wind is that friend that shows up when you least want them around. You just have to deal with them. If it doesn't kill you, it just makes you stronger. Skating into the wind will make you stronger and these are good form practice days. Get low, push strong and to the side, show Mr. Wind he ain't gonna beat you.
    Brian from SoCal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the excellent information.
    to everyone. Keep sharing this kind of articles, Thank you. China Hockey Skate wholesale

    ReplyDelete