Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Sleek and graceful? Not this skater...


Got out to skate today after work - I put my mind in a different place to try to avoid disappointment. I decided that my focus would be on form and technique, speed and distance could wait. The Bonts and I are still in the 'honeymoon' phase, and so far we aren't gelling too well. (But I'm a romantic, and I refuse to give up on them no matter how much they keep hurting me...) 

I tweaked a few things prior to today's outing: first I switched back to the 100 mm Street Fights (BIG difference, I really love those wheels!) and I scootched the frames inward a bit. I noticed a difference right away, there wasn't any pronation and the wheels felt much more comfortable. Negative is that I experienced some pressure on the upper inside top part of my left foot, and those damn raw spots on my heels... 

I put myself into a relaxed frame of mind and tried to remember a few things: no toe push (hard to tell if I'm actually getting that one) focusing more on a full range of motion finishing with the heel. I know I over exaggerated this move a bit, getting my elbows into it; I imagine I looked a bit like a duck sliding across a frozen lake. I feel uncoordinated, sloppy and clumsy. It's aggravating! But - I'm determined to get past it.

I did get some speed up on a new portion of the trail they've paved; it's smooth, flat and straight, perfect for a balls-to-the wall zoom-fest. I opened it up - and it scared the crap out of me. Not good... Not good at ALL - considering the fact that I'm trying to become a speed skater... I skated with quite a bit of fear the entire time tonight. Something I'm still chewing on in my brain to try to figure out the cause... (Probably still not confident enough on the Bonts?)

Of course the return trip was full on wind in the face - OF COURSE it was! If you have ever tried to run in a swimming pool then you can imagine what skating into the wind feels like. It's exhausting and frustrating. But it's also really awesome resistance training - as long as you can look past the whole exhausting and frustrating part. 

Got back to my truck feeling tired but the muscles felt good - I haven't had the cramping like I did that first day so that's got to be a good sign. However, my heels are torn up, and that's NOT a good sign. The weird thing is that I didn't even feel it until I was almost done with my skate...

But... I'm gonna keep chugging along because this is what I do and I love it. I am toying with the thought of skating Road Rash on my K2's though - since our relationship is comfortable and true. I'll give the Bonts a few more weeks to see if we can work things out but I gotta say, my heels are hurting...

No comments:

Post a Comment