Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, April 8, 2012

2 More Weeks until the Texas Road Rash!


Wow, Texas is coming up quick!! I'm feeling pretty good about my progress, so I think I'll do okay!! This week was almost a wash, we had snow earlier in the week; I didn't get to skate until Thursday, but I got a chance to skate with a couple of speed skaters out at Wash Park. That was a LOT of fun!!! I worked on some drafting (I am still not comfortable being RIGHT up against the person in front of me) - and got a critique of my form/technique (except for some bobbing of my shoulders and needing to use my hips more, everything is looking solid!!!) Got some pointers for some hip abductor moves to work into my weight routine and generally felt pretty good about everything. It's always so much fun to skate with those guys too. Although I prefer to skate solo (I think of skating as my 'me' time) I really do enjoy skating with other skaters. Especially speed skaters. Especially when we're tearing around the course passing everyone.... Sweeeet.

I had my husband spot heat mold some areas on my skates; I think he got the part on the skates that were pressing down on my bunions/big toes (especially on the right foot) to ease up a bit because I was pretty comfortable today. I did not experience any pain/pressure in those areas today. That made me really happy because that was starting to bother me quite a bit! The balls of my feet got a little tingly, but nothing like it had been. I skated 28 miles yesterday, and 22 today. I think I may have them stretched enough to start wearing socks too... I was kinda grossed out today by the sound my foot made each time I pushed off... *squeeesh* -- ugh... I hope I can get the socks to work...

My only question now is what training should I be doing the week prior to the race? I'm on a pretty hard core workout routine right now, so I am not sure if I should scale it back or keep doing what I'm doing, and maybe scale it back 2-3 days before the race? I put it out on the skatelog forum so hopefully I'll get some advice that applies.

Inline Warehouse shipped out my skinsuit, I'll have it in plenty of time to represent them at Road Rash. I'm pretty stoked about that!!! I feel proud to be wearing their logo and surprised that they asked me to. I think it's more my personality rather than my skating ability but hey - sell what you got, right? I am by nature a networking fool and I love being a part of the skater network.

This is by far and away one of the most exciting periods in my life! I know I'm a late bloomer - here I am at 41 - in the best shape of my life and gearing up for an intense year of competition. These are really awesome times indeed...

3 comments:

  1. It's so cool to hear that you're fired up and ready for your first race of the season! Sounds like you'll do great. Enjoy these times...you're right, they truly are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine-I made some suggestions on SLF about training approaching the race. Good luck, speedy

      Delete
  2. Thanks JT, got it - sounds like a plan! Appreciate that!!

    ReplyDelete