Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Thursday, March 15, 2012

What Inspires You?



Once upon a time, my motto in life was 'If the going gets tough - I'm outta here!', and I truly did live by it. Relationship getting tough? I'm outta here. Job getting tough? I'm outta here. Exercise getting tough? I'm outta here... I had nothing inside of me that would adhere to something difficult with a determination to fix it; nothing to inspire me to work through a rough patch, or a challenge, or even just sticking out a period of apathy. When things in my life got difficult, I often walked away and started over somewhere else.

But somewhere along the way, I found something inside of me that holds on now - through tears, through sweat, through anger and frustration and a screaming desire to throw in the towel - something inside of me digs in and says 'no'. I guess you could call it drive. I have finally learned about cause and effect - every action has a consequence; either positive or negative. I try to embrace the positive and correct the negative instead of shrugging and walking away.

I'm not saying that sticking things out magically got easy - not even close. I guess I just look at the big picture now, and not just the little corner of it that I am experiencing problems with. When I struggle out there on my skates; I visualize one of my skate heroes out there, gliding effortlessly along in a pace line and I WANT THAT. It makes me grit my teeth, ignore my pain, and keep pushing forward. The only way I will ever BE the way I want to BE is if I get out and do what I need to do. You don't become something simply by sitting on the sidelines wishing for it. You actually have to participate.

Another thing that helps keep me grounded and my goals realistic is that I idolize real people. My inspiration doesn't come from some celebrity with a hoard of personal trainers and private chefs and six hours a day to devote to hot yoga - I idolize real people who work, have families, and still manage to get out there and accomplish the very same things I hope to accomplish. There is a woman here at work who is 55 years old and works out in our on-site gym every day. She's unbelievable. I'll be trudging away on the treadmill and look over just in time to see her start a set of lat pull-downs and every muscle in her back ripples with the effort. It's glorious. I want that. It makes me kick things up a notch. All of the female skaters I've become friends with over the past couple of years inspire me - especially the ones who are older. I think of my skate friends who are working through injuries - getting out there day after day, determined to do what they love. That is what inspires me.

The desire to be a part of that club - an elite club -  is what will make me strap on my skates tonight - knowing full well that there will be a south westerly wind blowing right in my face as I'm skating back home. A desire to be able to hold my own with those skaters during the marathons this year is what will make me wrap up my blisters and ignore them when they complain. The passion I feel for a sport that I'm completely new to is what will make me keep getting out there, day after day - until I am no longer struggling.

To all of you who inspire me, and encourage me, and give me advice - thank you. I never could have come this far alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment