Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Monday, January 16, 2012

To sock or not to sock - that is the question...

Apparently there is quite a debate amongst skaters as to whether or not one should skate with socks or without socks. As a fitness skater, this was a no-brainer non-issue. I wore very cushy wigwam socks that attempted to keep my feet dry. (I say 'attempted' because I am a turbo sweat-machine. I swear I have sweat glands over every inch of my body...) When I'm done with a hard skate I look like I just got out of a swimming pool and I smell like a truck driver after a 12 hour shift! So any materials that can 'attempt' to help manage this will be utilized by yours truly.

Last year as I began to skate farther and harder, I developed some raw spots on my ankles. I was introduced to a wonderful product known as the eZeefit bootie. I got a pair and wore them underneath my socks. Raw spot problem solved! They are fantastic!

The eZeefit bootie


I swear by this product and figured that it would carry over to my speed skate adventure as well. I also figured that socks would too; because of the aforementioned turbo-sweat issue. I know a lot of skaters who skate with just the booties, and knowing my own sweat capabilities it makes me shudder at the thought of being one of these people. I don't care how many holes there are at the top of my boots; unless you have an industrial strength built- in fan, I sincerely doubt they'll do me much good. I envision my poor feet swimming. Unpleasant.

So, I went to Sports Authority and purchased the absolute thinnest dry max type running socks I could find. Seamless, thin, wicking. Sweet. I put them on over the bootie, shoved my foot in my skate; and my foot was numb within minutes. Sucky.

Dry Max hyper thin running socks
I am now wondering if I will end of being an 'either/or' person. Either I skate w/ the booties or I skate w/ socks. Unless my boots stretch a little over time to allow the room - I cannot have both.

A few of my skater friends were debating the pros and cons of 'barefoot' skating vs. socks, and the arguments were interesting (and amusing.) The biggest argument against barefoot skating was The Stench Factor. The odors produced by a sweaty skate are pretty significant - but I can tell you from experience that wearing socks is NO guarantee that you won't stink. (My truck smells like a locker room during the summer; and no one will ride in it.) Advice received included putting paper towels in the skates immediately after taking them off; then a couple of hours later popping some dryer sheets in them. Another suggestion was a handy $20 item known as a Peet shoe dryer. After skating, you just put your boots on this gadget and let it dry them out for you.... I'm seriously considering investing in one of these...

Peet Shoe Dryer


There were also many suggestions for sprays, liners, powders, and those little deodorizing balls... The line between the socked and the sockless was pretty even - and their arguments are all pretty compelling. Those for the barefoot skating cite that your toes can grip the bottom of the skate better offering more control. I actually experienced this a little yesterday while skating indoor, but also noticed it got a little slippery in there as well. I tried not to think about it. Personally I want to be able to wear socks with my skates - but the booties offer blister protection in those areas where I am most vulnerable.... So maybe I should try this out?

The eZeefit FULL FOOT BOOTIE....

This quite possibly could offer the best of BOTH worlds and solve my problem completely... So what about you? Are you among the socked? Or the sockless?

8 comments:

  1. Socks and EZ Fit booties in my (old, stretched out) inlines for trail skating. Socks only in my new inlines on the track. Sockless--yes, outdoors in the Minnesota winter--in my new long track ice boots. There's just no room for socks (which I've always worn before). Of course, sweat is not a problem in the winter...and I do have neoprene boot covers for the really cold days. I've seen quite a few skaters (ice and inline) use the EZ Fit booties, so maybe that will be the answer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definetely socks for me! Other people on the ice track often say you have to "feel" the ice and "you cannot feel it with socks in your shoes".

    Well, they can say what they want, but my feet cannot live without a sock, or at least what the effects will be of the hard labour to other people.

    So i am a socky and i accept it as it is,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use 2mm EzeeFits and DeFeet Socks in my stock boots because they are stock boots. I think I would at least favor socks to deal with the sweat issue you suggested. I wouldn't want to destroy expensive custom boots with my sweaty feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also someone who sweats, alot (very unlady-like) and it's worse in warm months. This is why I can never not wear socks. My custom boots are also extremely snug, but they did eventually give a bit so that I could also wear the ultra thin ezeefit booties.

    Julie (JandKLarson on Skatelog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *ultra thin ezeefit booties and very thin socks. I still wear both, although probably do not need the ezeefits anymore.

      Delete
  5. Yhao, focused on manufacturing knitted products since 2004. The main products include women socks, men socks, baby socks, yoga socks, sports socks, touchscreen winter gloves, beanie hats, scarves, and etc. Custom Logo Socks | Private Label Custom Socks Manufacturer- Yhao

    ReplyDelete
  6. This article was written by a real thinking writer without a doubt.I agree many of the with the solid points made by the writer.I’ll be back day in and day for further new updates. best inline fan

    ReplyDelete
  7. with some important information. Thank you so much for sharing Soft Ice Figure Skates manufacturers . Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete