Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Friday, January 27, 2012

First trail skate of 2012



So yesterday was my first official trail skate of the year, and my first long distance skate on the new Bonts. I didn't place any kind of pressure on myself for speed or distance; I figured I'd go about 12-15 miles, work on getting used to the feel of the skates, maybe work on plow and t-stops; and have a nice, easy outing. I put them on, hit the trail, and I was like a duck on a pond! It seemed as if the faster I went, the more graceful and in control I felt. I hit the 7 mile mark and didn't feel like turning around. I hit the 10 mile mark, and didn't feel like turning around. I decided to turn around at 8th avenue (which is about the 14 mile mark) but once I got there, I noticed that the detour was gone and the new portion of the trail was open! So of COURSE I had to go check it out... I ended up at confluence park - 15.91 miles one way. I took a little break to enjoy the sunshine!


As I relaxed a bit, I began to notice a few things. First of all, my feet were tingly and tight. My calves were sore. I was TIRED... OOooooooh crap. I had a feeling the ride home wasn't going to be nearly as enjoyable as the ride out had been!! I rested for about 10 minutes then started heading back. Of course, the wind was in my face for about 5 solid miles; this made me even more tired... My legs started cramping, my feet were hurting and I was practically limping that last 7 miles. With one mile left to go, a twig got caught in one of my skates and almost took me down. Once again, I managed to somehow slow down while balanced on one foot with something stuck in the other one. That last mile seemed to take forever...

When I got back to my truck, I felt like I was going to pass out!! My legs were cramped, and I was exhausted. While taking off my right boot my calf suddenly seized up and had me in agony... This hasn't ever happened before!! Obviously I overdid it; I mean, I haven't been skating regularly in months, and I haven't really been exercising either. I think I put my poor body into shock by expecting any kind of performance out of it after an extended period of being sedentary. My bad. I'm paying for it now! Oh, I also have some raw spots on my ankles; identical on each foot.


I was told by several people that this was caused from toe pushing. I can tell you that it was caused by exhaustion = sloppy skating. My form went to crap with about 10 miles left to go; and that's about the time I started feeling the burning pain. I take full responsibility for the raw spots on my feet, the cramped muscles in my legs, and the lower back pain I'm experiencing today...

Even though I pushed myself way more than I should have (an overzealous 31.77 miles to be exact) it was not a total loss! The skates feel pretty good, and I felt in control in them pretty quickly. I will take it easy next time and work my way back up to it. I can say that I have a really good feeling about this year, I think it's going to be awesome!!!!

36.58 miles down for 2012, 1463.42 to go...



3 comments:

  1. Awesome! (Well, not the raw spots on the feet...but get used to that. They still sometimes pop up out of nowhere, even in boots I'm well-used to). Switching from the skates you used to have, to the ones you have now, is bound to cause some soreness/cramps in calves/shins/little stabilizer muscles, because they just don't get as much of a workout in the higher boots you used to have. If you can go over 30 miles your first time in the new boots...you've got nothing to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good be here... Your inline skates experience is really nice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. to everyone. Keep sharing this kind of articles, Thank you. China Hockey Skate wholesale

    ReplyDelete