Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Great Indoors

Today was a really good day. It was a day of firsts; first time skating indoor, and first time skating on my new Bonts!!

My boots arrived on January 12th, I was so excited I drove down to FedEx and picked them up instead of waiting to have them delivered. I put the frames & high rollers on just to see what they look like and in my opinion, they truly are a thing of beauty:


Of course, there is currently about a foot of snow outside and the trails and streets are icy and gross; so no outdoor skating for me just yet. Instead I did laps around my dining room table with two excited dogs chasing me. It was great fun! Without the option to hit the trails I will be doing indoor skating for the next couple of months. I have to say, though; it's been YEARS since I've skated at a skating rink! I have visuals of dimmed lights, a disco ball, carpeted walls and 'Tom Sawyer' blaring on the speakers... (Yeah, it's seriously been THAT long...) So my visual of indoor skating looks a little like this -


I'm happy to report that it was nothing like that. The Rocky Mountain Speed skaters are super nice and very helpful; they made me feel welcome and gave me lots of great advice. My nervousness disappeared almost immediately so I could focus on enjoying myself. 

(I brought my small camera but all of the pictures came out crappy so I apologize in advance for that...) 


That photo is a blurry mess but that's me on the far right. In spite of feeling like a complete and utter newbie on my skates; I had a blast!! I participated in the practice, and although not as fast or as polished a skater, I felt like I did okay! I worked on crossovers (clunky and clumsy) and a few other things, I know it's just a matter of time. I have the desire to be a better skater so I'm very willing to learn. I feel that what I take from this experience will definitely benefit my outdoor skating. Now is the time to focus on form, and learning some basics (like stopping!) the speed will come!

 a blurry me with James



My skates fit like a glove, I had some areas of rubbing on the tops of my toes on my right foot but other than that nothing felt uncomfortable. (and when I took my boots off, I had no blisters or raw spots; just some redness.) I was able to lace them, but I cannot fit both a sock AND an EzeeFit bootie in the boots. It's either one or the other. I opted for the bootie. Hopefully after a few skates they'll stretch a little more so I can fit a sock in there! 

My indoor set up



The difference between the Bonts and the K2s is unbelievable. They feel so much lighter and I feel like I can move and maneuver around a lot easier. I am so looking forward to seeing what I can get out of these skates!

My new skates vs. my old ones. What a difference!





2 comments:

  1. Congrats Christine! I did those same races last year... and then some. You'll enjoy this great sport for many years to come. Be sure to hook up with a outdoor speed group for training, perhaps Rockey Mountain. And establish a goal to train for more marathons this year. Perhaps start with the Texas Road Rash in Round Rock. John Scott Schulte, Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, I'm actually skating with Rocky Mountain indoor - they also skate Wash park with me during the summer. I have a blog entry with my goals for this year - you'd see I plan on doing 3-4 with Road Rash being the first!

    ReplyDelete