Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Monday, November 7, 2011

The Limbo of the Off Season

Somehow within the past month, my skate season ended. After Athens to Atlanta, I was planning on participating in the Houston marathon but just could not financially make it happen. So without something to train for I suddenly felt myself going adrift. Toss in an abrupt end to the summer and I am completely lost. I'm still skating, but the trails are getting cluttered and the wind has that icy bite to it now; not to mention the sun setting so early. Summer slipped away without even saying goodbye and I have to admit - that hurt my feelings a little. I thought she and I were total BFFs...

I have pretty much taken about a month off from exercising, skating a couple of times after A2A but suspending weight training all together. I'm planning on getting back on track with all of that this week. (I do a hybrid mix of P90X weight workouts with the skating and other cardio. I don't like the cardio workouts that are a part of the program.) I feel that sloth-like urge to carb up and rev down; gain weight and hybernate. I seriously must fight this... I can't afford to jeopardize all of my 2011 progress. So - weight training it is, along with some running and skating when the weather permits. I just need to make sure I don't overthink it. I can sabotage a workout faster than ANYTHING just by thinking about it... "Ugh, first I have to walk over to the weight room, change my clothes, do my workout; then change AGAIN - walk back over to the office, I feel tired now..." The motto needs to be Don't Think Just Do. Keep it simple. Look at the clock, grab my stuff; and move...

I have to admit though, I am sincerely stoked for my 2012 skate season. I FINALLY decided on which skates I'm getting (the custom 2012 Bont Z 3pt 3PF w/ 100 mm mint high rollers!) I'm getting cast next Saturday and I cannot wait!




it is a thing of beauty in my mind, I cannot wait to get these on my feet! I know I will have a period of adjustment (no cuff, tighter fit; completely different feel) but I'm ready for it. I welcome the challenge and the change. I have some new, bigger skating goals for 2012, so I kind of need the gear!! I have already registered for NSIM in wave B. I also plan on skating Napa Valley and Apostle for sure; with a couple of 'possibles' on the list as well (Texas Road Rash, Chicagoland, NYC 100k, Athens to Atlanta again.) I just need to plan accordlingly to make sure I set aside the $$$ necessary to make my 2012 dreams come true!!

All I want to do is skate. I wish I could quit my job and skate every day. I wish I could skate every event in the country. I wish I could share my passion for skating with everyone - and I wish more people would try it out and see if they like it. I cannot imagine my life without this form of movement.

So that is where I am now; on the cusp of winter and still trying to change gears...


1 comment:

  1. Been there, done that. Will do it again...and again...and again...repeat! Good work this year!

    ReplyDelete