Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Getting cast for customs

A year ago, I didn't even know that there were inline skating events. Today, I got my feet cast for a pair of custom inline racing skates. Can't wait to see what is going on a year from now!

So if any of you guys are unfamiliar with this process (as I was a few short months ago) then this blog should be interesting to you! I had my feet cast by Debbie Rice, a certified Bont representative (and bad ass derby girl!) Lucky for me, she was in in town heading up a Bont booth for the WFTDA derby championships. We drove about an hour north to meet up with her and she was kind enough to take time out of her schedule to play with my gnarly feet.

Me excited!

Debbie getting everything set up.

Metal strips taped to my ankles where the scissors cut the cast off, plastic bags on my feet to protect them from the plaster.

The actual casting material is rolled up like a sock. Debbie unrolled it, soaked it in some water, then put it on my foot; shaping and molding it securely around every little curve, bump and angle of the foot. 

 Positioning my feet; I am trying very hard to remember to keep them straight, keep my toes from bunching up, keep my ankles straight, do not pronate, not bend my needs inward; and so on... and so forth.... (I sincerely hope I got that right!!!!!)

 I had to stand in this position for several minutes while the plaster hardened.

A cut is made along the front of the boot when the cast is dry, and removed from the foot.

The completed casts. These will be shipped to Bont where they will be filled with plaster, and them my new skates will be built around the molds!



My right toes felt a tad bunched; so I requested 3mm be added to the length. My ankles are also kind of scrawny in comparison to the width of my feet, so I requested extra padding in the cuff; and the cushy padding in the actual boot. I have some pretty bad bunions so I'm glad I decided to go ahead and get custom rather than deal with trying to work with a stock boot. My hope is that they will be fairly skate ready right out of the box with a minimal break in time. I should have them by my birthday. How appropriate!! 

I am going with the 2012 Bont Z, I was so on the fence about which skate to go with until I saw a photo of that skate; and it was love at first sight. I went with boots only for now to save from this being such a big purchase all at once. (The 3PF frames are about 350 bucks - give or take: wheels run about 12 bucks a piece.) I should have all components well before spring and should be race ready by my first race - which will more than likely be Apostle Islands in June!!!

Now to get through the winter.... 

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog--cool! I'm also a skater (in fact, I'm the one in orange in your St. Paul half marathon photos! I have a "race report" from St. Paul on my blog, too...longtracklife.blogspot.com), but I'm mostly a long track ice skater. Great to find another "40-something" woman obsessed with skating! Good luck with the off-season--I know how you feel (but my season is just starting!)

    ReplyDelete