Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Minnesota Half Marathon!

So the Minnesota half marathon was this past Saturday and I did it!! My husband and I arrived in Minneapolis on Friday, my husband dealing with a horrible cold (that I kept praying would spare me - at least until after the race!!!!) My friend Susan (who lives there) picked us up from the airport. We hit up the expo at the hotel (kind of disappointing) did some walking around, then Susan and I drove the race course. There was one part that had me a little scared; the first turn was an off ramp that was downhill with a sharp left turn. The rest of the course looked totally manageable. I tried not to obsess over that turn.... After we got back to the hotel, I FINALLY got a chance to meet my friend Kelly. He's been a bit of a mentor and inspiration to me so it was really cool to finally meet him.

We were up at 5 am the next morning, and I woke up feeling sick!!!! But once I got up and got ready, I was feeling a bit better. We headed out for a quick breakfast (cereal bar and a banana) then down to the starting line. Along the way we stopped to admire the view - I love early morning!



We got to the starting line and I laced on my skates for a few warm up laps around the road - test the surface and get my muscles warm; as well as get my head in the right place. I had a little bit of a sore throat but overall I felt really good!


I saw my friend Kelly and we lined up next to each other. I wished him a good [and safe] race; and next thing I knew, it was our turn to head out!!! We started up the road towards that scary turn and I kept trying not to think about it. I tagged onto the backs of various pace lines to snake my way through the masses and break out of the pack. Each time a pace line slowed down, I broke off and found a faster one. I was starting down the off ramp at the back of a pace line, but I got scared and slowed down... As I rounded the turn I realized that I could have made the turn a lot faster. I worked to catch back up with the pace line and skated with them for a while. 

This is the pace line I moved in and out of. They could NOT maintain a consistent pace and that frustrated me. I skated in/along side them for a good 8 miles before finally breaking away and skating on my own. (You can see me off to the side getting ready to break away again)


I drafted a few skaters here and there but it seemed like I had some type of advantage on the hills. I've been training on hills at altitude, so sprinting up the hills felt like a breeze. I passed the majority of the skaters I passed on the uphill portions of the race. Another really cool thing was that my muscles seemed to recover from the sprints super fast, so they felt ready to work after only a few seconds of resting! It surprised me!! 

Towards the end of the race, I was skating along side and behind 3 or 4 women. As I steadily passed them one by one; one woman seemed highly annoyed that I passed her. She made a point (and a comment) as she got back in front of me. Fine, get in front of me - I just drafted her for the last part of the race!!! Here are a couple shots of me and the annoyed girl coming up to the finish line. The two women behind me are skaters who started out well ahead of me!!!





Passing the finish line!! Whew that was sooo awesome!!!


I felt REALLY strong, and I had worked really hard; so I figured I had done pretty well; but I had NO idea I did as well as I did!!! According to my Endomondo tracking on my phone - I averaged 16.6 mph!!! 

My official time was 47:28.94. I finished 20/170 women, 6/40 in my age division; and 73/376 overall!!!!! That is WAY better than I had expected!!!! 

Me with my friend Susan! It was so good to see her!


Me and Kelly


my husband (and awesome photographer) Allen and I, he is SO supportive!!!



That was an amazing experience and I had SO MUCH FUN!! Now I'm thinking I may just do the Northshore marathon next month because I don't think I can wait until November to do another race!!! I am officially HOOKED!!!

5 comments:

  1. Did you skate the marathon with the MPC VT wheels? In some photos your wheels appear to be "green". Could be my monitor or the camera. I tried the 100 mm orange version of those wheels and found them to be very smooth. They felt slow though according to my Garmin they were not. I enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work. I too am trying to transition from fitness skater to marathon skater. Hopefully in September.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everett, I skated in the MPC Street Fights - w/ the TwinCam pro ILQ-9 bearings. They were very smooth on the terrain. I love the VT's but the Street Fights just felt better!!! Marathon skating is a BLAST - I'm totally hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well after reading your blog and comments I'm not up to your level just yet. I saw where you did a 30 mile skate. 20 miles has been my max to date. You are giving me incentive though. Later this week I'll try to do 26 miles though I expect my avg to drop considerably. I did 14 miles today and avgd 15 mph including stops at intersections etc with some periods of 17-18 mph for about a mile. Today I was on Bont Semi-race skates. They definitely felt faster and lighter. Better control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goal on the 26.2 mile skates is to complete in under 2 hours... I usually average 13 mph when I do over 20 miles. It's just a matter of conditioning; I do intervals during the week and a nice distance skate on the weekend. Each time I get out I go a little faster!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Regarding that scary downhill turn: when I was a beginner my coach advised me to skate sharp turns LOW. Assume a posture like a downhill ski racer. The jury is still out on whether to square your shoulders, or turn them facing in or out, but everyone agrees that, instead of looking at your feet, you should turn your head into the turn, and look where you want to go (the other side of the turn). One advantage is a lower center of gravity. The coach's maxim was: "The lower you skate, the shorter the distance to the ground when you crash."

    ReplyDelete