Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

How it began and where it's going...

I began my skating adventure at the end of 1995 by receiving a pair of Rollerblade skates for Christmas. They were basically a ski boot with wheels and I HATED them. They were uncomfortable, clunky, and SLOW. I had heard that some other brands began making a soft boot skate; so I went out and found a pair of purple K2 soft boot inline skates. I loved them! I took to skating like a duck on water and fell completely in love with the sport... At first I was cautious about speed and never went above an ABEC 5 bearing. Skating was something I did for fun, I was outside with my friends, cruising along at a mellow pace. It wasn't fitness. It wasn't training. It wasn't even exercise to me. For years I viewed skating as something I did just for fun. I didn't realized how fantastic it is for fitness until later on in life. [The picture below is me on my purple K2's - March 1996]



I skated the purple K2's until they pretty much disintegrated. I stuck with the K2 brand and went through several more pairs of fitness skates but something was missing. I wanted more SPEED. I kept trying faster bearings, but I didn't realize that wheel size also plays an important part in speed. In 2010 I accidentally bought a pair of 90 mm wheels that didn't fit on my current pair of skates. I did more reading and found K2 Celenas and bought them. Skating became a LOT more fun, but the skates only gave me a small taste of my potential for speed. On top of faster skates, I also found an app for my smart phone called Endomondo, so for the FIRST TIME EVER I was able to accurately track how many miles I was skating and get an idea of my miles per hour. All of these variables contributed to me wanting MORE. More speed, more miles; more challenges. I set a goal of 500 miles for 2010 but only managed 357 with an average speed of 10.6 mph. I needed more... I also needed a network of skating buddies to help keep me motivated. [The picture below is me on my Celena 90 mm skates; spring 2010.]



So, in January of this year I bought a pair of K2 Radical 100's, and 16 years after getting my first pair of inline skates, my true skating journey has begun. I began to skate when it was cold. I began to skate when it was windy. I didn't care about twigs on the path or the setting sun; my passion for skating was wholly reborn. And then, I discovered that they have inline skating events all over the country - and they even have marathons! I set a goal to do at least a half marathon for this year. I also set a goal for 700 miles skated. On June 18th, I hit 516 miles skated for 2011 so I increased my goal to 1000. I bought a camelbak because I started spending more and more time out on my skates. (Instead of 30 minutes to an hour - I can be out for 2-3 hours at a time!) I bought a helmet. I wear a heart rate monitor that works with Endomondo. I focus on fuel and hydration, speed, endurance; but most of all it is even more FUN for me now than it ever was! I found a whole network of inline skaters on Endomondo who help keep the fire alive. I have friends who've given me training advice, hardware advice and pointers on technique. I've become a better skater: I'm STILL becoming a better skater!

Skating is now about fitness as well as fun. At this point in time I am averaging 12 mph and I burn between 800-1900 calories every time I'm out. I want to get faster - at least 13 mph. I'm also trying to condition my heart for longer sprints; endurance is definitely my weakness right now, so I'll be starting interval training next week on top of distance training. I also do weight training and eat like an athlete. I'm currently registered for a half marathon in August [St. Paul] but I also want to do a full marathon in November, [Houston] I plan on registering as soon as they open it up. I am VERY excited about both of these races!!!

I know I'll never win a marathon. I know I'll never be an elite athlete; but that is ok. I'm 40 years old and do not have the time to dedicate to full out training. My journey is more about making - and beating - my own personal bests. Skating has always been my happy place; an adrenaline rush, an endorphine high. It's my favorite ride; I hope you enjoy sharing the ride with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment