Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Why I Love To Skate

As race season looms and I find myself stressing over whether or not I'll be ready for the Texas Road Rash in time, [and trying to reconcile my extreme reluctance to commit to indoor skating,] I figured I'd better take a minute to refresh my memory as to WHY I love to skate.

From the moment I strapped on my very first pair of skates and took to the trails like a duck on a pond; I have been hooked. As I fly along the trails, smelling the fresh air mixed with sweat and sunscreen; tasting the raspberry-lemonade lip balm I wear, feeling the sunshine on my skin, hearing my favorite songs in one ear and the soothing swishing sound of my wheels in the other - I am truly at peace. No other type of motion satisfies all of my senses like skating does. I feel my muscles burn and flex, I hear the sound of my breath, I feel the pounding of my heart: and I feel alive.

There are many components to the complete definition of my passion - it's not just about strapping on the skates and going. I have a whole ritual that I do prior to and upon completion of a skate. It's as much a part of my workout as the actual skate itself, and I find a lot of comfort in the whole routine. While out on my skate, I experience a very heightened sense of awareness, I'm completely in the moment - participating in being a part of the world and not just watching it go by. I feel very connected to nature and to myself.

I think that is probably why I can't really get myself stoked for skating indoors. While I had a good time when I did go, and I think the people I skated with are great - it just wasn't the same experience for me. I had fun but at the same time, it felt like work. I always told myself that the minute skating went from being fun to being work then it was time to seriously re-evaluate what I was doing. Being indoors skating in circles may help me gain some better skating skills; but that's just not good enough for me. My senses are not engaged enough and I need that. I think that may be another reason I decided not to do the Metrodome marathon - I would just rather be outside!

February will be over in 13 days and March is usually when my skate season really begins. Part of my little routine is anticipating the colder days and shorter evenings - racing against the setting sun, avoiding the patches of ice and feeling like a little kid having play time after school. I'm so ready for it....

And as for racing, well, as long as it stays fun as I really get into competing then I will be okay. I guess I need to remind myself not to stress over it and just get out there and enjoy the overall experience: rather than focusing on the numbers.


Why do I skate? To experience this:


And this...


... and this...


And this... 



And even this! (Skating in January!)



Skating is definitely my happy place and the great outdoors is where it's at....

1 comment:

  1. You've created an excellent essay China Roller Skate manufacturers. Your essay gave me some unique and useful information.

    ReplyDelete