Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Countdown to Northshore!

Well, the Northshore marathon is in 6 days - I am just 6 days away from accomplishing my goal of skating a full marathon, and I couldn't be more excited!

Of course, I had a little bit of a set back due to stupid health stuff... I have GERD (acid reflux disease) a hiatal hernia and stomach ulcers; and for the most part when I have a flare up I eat some Prilosec for a couple of weeks, it calms back down and life goes on. This flare up started in early August and I could not get it to calm back down. It got so bad that I couldn't eat hardly anything for about a week! So I went to my doctor and got some new medication (he also recommended surgery - I said maybe after the end of this year I'd consider it but NOT NOW.) I started Dexilant on Thursday and almost immediately it made the worst symptoms more bearable. (Worst symptoms being chest pain that radiates up into my neck, through my back and down my arms, a stomach ache, shortness of breath, a sore throat, and difficulty swallowing...) I know I will more than likely need surgery to correct this but I have too much going on right now to consider being out of commission. The thing that REALLY pisses me off about the GERD is that I don't fit the profile... I'm not overweight, I don't smoke, and I eat a low fat diet. In fact, I haven't had fast food in over 2 years!!! So I am not sure why I have it so bad... But anyway... The pain and discomfort made working out impossible and it actually started to depress me quite a bit. I haven't lifted weights in 3 weeks and I didn't skate as much as I wanted to last week... I'm so grateful that the medicine is working enough to encourage me to get back on track and improve my mood. I just need to keep it under control long enough to finish out the year...

Today I skated 27.5 miles on the new Street Fights and Bones Swiss speed bearings. My new wheels are broke in and ready to go, so I'll swap them out tonight and save them for the race. I got myself a pair of eZeeFit ankle booties (I have a raw spot on my inner left ankle and one on my outer right ankle) and they worked like a dream! No pressure or rubbing and they made my boots fit a little snugger too. Very comfortable. I also tried out a pair of compression shorts - I'm not really sure what they're supposed to do but they felt pretty comfortable! I have one more skate on Wednesday - I plan on 13-15 miles of laps and breaking in the Storm Surges (In case it rains, I really hope it doesn't!) Then I'll be set for Northshore!

Here's a little video of me drafting a group of cyclists. Granted, they weren't going THAT fast, but it is still pretty cool to keep up with bikes...

Drafting Bikes 9-11-11

It has been a really fun journey. I've networked with other skaters through Facebook, Endomondo, and Inline Planet; several of them are doing Northshore too. Even though we are all in different states, I almost feel like we've been training together! I can't wait to see them and see how well they do. I'm rooting for them to hit all of their goals, and thank them for helping me set mine pretty high! (I am hoping to complete the marathon in 1:40 or less. I think that is TOTALLY feasible.)

It feels like autumn now, which makes me feel a little sad - I've been having such an amazing summer!!

Current Stats:
Best Marathon Time: 1:44:58 (achieved 9/9/11)
Best Half Marathon Time: 46:53 (achieved 8/6/11)
Miles Skated in 2011: 1116 (goal was 1000)

*happy trails!!*

No comments:

Post a Comment