Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Long Road Still Ahead


As inline skate season looms and I'm still nowhere near 100%, I figured it was time for an update. I'm sorry to deviate from the main purpose of this blog but this is still part of my journey. I've been enjoying the cold, gray, snowy days because the sunshine makes me think of skating and running and being outside; and not being able to do those things depresses me even more. At this point I don't know if I'll ever do them again. Oh I know, I have people telling me "You'll be back! Stronger than ever!" but the truth is - I don't know that for sure. I might not be. I HOPE so, and that hope is what keeps me going; but I have come to terms with the possibility of it not happening. 

Here's what I do know - my body is still pretty jacked up. I'm on doctor #4 as far as hormones go; but this one seems to be more focused on my thyroid. I was diagnosed hypothyroid several years ago, and have been on medication for it. Last year my numbers suddenly shot high; then after lowering my medication, they were good for a short period of time, then suddenly dropped. I raised my medication again, but my numbers are still low. My dr thinks I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. This would explain some of the symptoms I'm still having. She ran a few tests, and my tests came back pretty conclusive of Hashimoto's. I do not know what this means for me yet, it's an autoimmune disorder, I've been reading that one thing that may help is cutting out gluten.

I see my doctor again on the 19th to discuss a different delivery option for my hormones, I'm still fluctuating a lot on the cream and not absorbing right. These fluctuations make for some pretty bad days; I'll have a day where I'm suicidal depressed; next day I'm happy as a clam. Some days I can drive like normal; next day I'm so anxious and panicky I can't even walk to the mailbox. It's FRUSTRATING. I'm considering BioTE hormone pellets, I am hoping to have those inserted on the 19th. They seem to release a more consistent dose of hormones. I'm sure we'll discuss the thyroid results and what that means for me as well.

I'm still having issues with the Gastroparesis, but it seems to be getting a bit better. I got down to 115 lbs in December but since starting the hormone cream I've gained 10 lbs. The bad news is that part of it is due to horrible sugar cravings; so I'm not eating quality foods. The weight I've gained is also all in my stomach; so I have these little stick arms and legs and a nice round stomach. Gross. I'm hoping the pellets will balance out whatever is causing these cravings; they are horrible. I end up eating stuff I shouldn't and them I'm uncomfortable for the rest of the day...

Also - still with the shortness of breath and no idea as to what's causing it. The slightest bit of exertion (like a short walk, less than a mile) leaves me winded and feeling like I'm starving for air; this sensation triggers panic attacks. I've had 2 panic attacks while out on walks; and one while walking around shopping. The panic attacks have gotten better, I am no longer taking Xanax during the day; but I'm stuck in a cycle of situational anxiety where I avoid the things and places where I've had them. I am extremely uncomfortable driving by myself; although I can now ride as a passenger in a car without medication or having any discomfort. I see that as a positive sign of progress. I just wish I knew what was causing the shortness of breath - it's very disconcerting.

I saw my GI doctor last Thursday and that too was disheartening. She was abrupt with me, told me I needed to accept my diagnosis of Gastroparesis and quit looking for some magic wand that will make it go away. She told me to buckle up because I was looking at a good decade of struggling with menopause and getting my hormones balanced. I wanted to punch her, I left her office in tears. She wrote me a prescription for an antidepressant (Elavil) which is supposed to help with the 'visceral response' to the discomfort of Gastroparesis (example - my stomach bloats and makes it harder to breath; that triggers panic. This medication is supposed to help with that.) Then she told me I can't take it until I get my other hormones sorted out - so who knows when that will be...

I'm not a fan of medications as bandaids anyway, I hate it when doctors throw a prescription at you and send you on your way without even trying to dig for the root of the problem. It pisses me off. I know that by correcting the primary issue (in my case I honestly believe it's hormonal; be it thyroid or sex hormones) that the gastroparesis will calm back down. I am sorry, Mrs. GI doctor, but I do not just accept this and I do think I can fix it enough to regain my quality of life. I've always had slow digestive transit; but never to this extent. I believe that when my hormones went haywire, my gut did too. I still believe that once I find the balance with hormones and nutrition then I should be in a much better place.

And that's where I'm at. I already know for sure that this year will be a sidelines year for me, but I've accepted it. What else am I going to do?

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot to deal with! Do you take both T3 and T4 for your thyroid issues? T3 is heavily implicated in issues like panic attacks and depression, and some people have a hard time converting T4 (which is what Synthroid is) to T3...and there's also something called Reverse T3, which I know nothing about. I do know that I need to take both T3 and T4 to feel normal. And yeah, if you haven't tried gluten free, do so--but go one step further and go grain free. If it doesn't help, then at least you know you've tried it; and it might just be another piece of the extremely complicated and frustrating puzzle! Hang in there, and I hope things start looking up for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kaari. I take Armour thyroid; it has both T3 and T4. I refuse to take Synthroid or any other synthetic hormone. I also had my reverse T3 checked; that number looked good. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you're definitely on top of the thyroid thing! I really hope you can pin down whatever is going on...you deserve to feel better and to be able to get back out there on your skates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am saving your article in my favorite’s folder to visit again You made valid points within this content that I feel need further exploration.

    Ice hockey skates & Ice hockey gloves

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Christine, you haven't updated this in a while. I keep checking back! What's up?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I've only found your blog now and have read it all with great interest. i would really like to know how you are doing now, although I understand if you don't feel like writing on here. I hope you are well, wherever you are. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Update as of 8/6/15 - I am healthy again but unable to run or skate; I probably will never be able to work out the way I used to. I have continued issues with shortness of breath. But the anxiety is not a problem anymore; I'm working a full time job and living a full life. While I miss skating very much - I have found other passions; like photography and live music. I'm doing good!! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The journey with https://www.shimlapacks.in/ is the best thing to have the joy of the life. The journey from one place to another will give you so many memorable moments which you will never forget in the life. This will give you the chance to move on the different paths and on the different roads.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Admin
    Thanks for your valuable information shared on this site. This information very useful to me... For know more about us, please visit Dream India Vacation
    One Day Taj Mahal Tour by Car
    One Day Delhi Tour by Car
    Same Day Jaipur Tour by Car
    Same Day Agra Tour by Gatimaan Express

    Thanks and Best Regards
    Mobile: +91-9568246666
    Email: info@dreamindiavacation.com
    Website: www.dreamindiavacation.com
    Blog: www.dreamindiavacation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete