Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Friday, January 18, 2013

A funny thing happened on the way to 2013...


So, I have been trying to come up with skating goals for 2013 - and I haven't been able to come up with anything. I finally figured out that it's because I have accomplished everything I set out to do with skating. I skated my first half marathon (Minnesota half, 2011). I skated my first full marathon (Northshore, 2011). I skated a race at the pro level (Texas Road Rash/Pro Master women; 2012). I skated over 1000 miles in a year (1380 in 2011, and 1165 in 2012.) I skated a marathon in under 90 minutes (Northshore, 2012 - 1:26). Along the way on this journey, I learned that I have no desire to skate at the pro level for several reasons; the main one being that I don't have the drive necessary to commit to the training. Second, I put too much pressure on myself, which totally takes the fun out of skating; and third - I've discovered that I'm actually kind of a wuss. I like to skate fast; but not TOO fast. I found my limits and I am comfortable with them. I realized that with skating, I am now at the maintenance level. This is totally cool - it actually makes me feel pretty excited for 2013 because I intend to have fun with it, with no pressure to perform at any certain level. I want to skate 2-4 races, and I will approach them seriously with every intention of skating as hard and as fast as I can. But I already know I can do this - so it's not really a goal. When I started this whole skating thing, my primary intention was to see how far I could go with it before it went from feeling like playtime to feeling like work. I hit that barrier and now I'm backing off from it. I never, ever wanted skating to feel like work. It's supposed to be my happy place, and last year I shed way too many tears over it. This year it's all about having fun.

Which brings me to now. Last year I started running for cross training. I was completing my weight workouts in about 30-40 minutes; but wanted to be spending at least 60-70 minutes at the gym. So I began doing 25-35 minutes of cardio prior to lifting weights. First it was walking, then running; mixed with the elliptical and the exercise bike. The more I ran, the more I began to actually like it. The first time I ran outside, I knew I had found something that had the potential to be an addiction. At the time however, I was transitioning into the 2012 skate season, so as soon as March/April hit - my primarily focus was skating. I was still running every once in awhile (and actually ran my first 5K in August) but my passion was skating. Once skate season started winding down (and I once again found myself dreading the winter 'off' season), I had the bright idea of setting some running goals to help get me through it. I have absolutely no desire to skate indoors, so I needed SOMETHING to keep me motivated. I'm pretty tired of the cycle of being active spring/summer/fall then turning into a sloth during the winter. I want to maintain throughout the year. Of course I have the added burden of depressive cycles pulling me down but dammit, I am determined to find a way to work through them! So, even with a coating of seasonal depression dragging me down; I ran my second 5K on Thanksgiving. That was a turning point for me. I ran it slow, but I ran it steady, without stopping. The euphoria I felt when I crossed the finish line was like a drug. I want to experience that again. Originally my goal was to do one 5K per month; but I have been running a 5K as my weight training warm ups. That didn't seem challenging enough. So I started thinking on it, and that's when the seeds started to take root and my fitness goals for 2013 emerged.... I am going to run a 7K, a 10K and a half marathon. The half marathon is on May 19th.

The really interesting thing is that when I shared this with everyone, some of my skate friends were pretty hard on me. This confused and disheartened me. I am not abandoning the sport. I love skating! I don't intend to take it to the next level, so why should I have to be aligned to just skating? Why can't I do both? - Or hell, what if I decide I want to cycle too? Or hike? Or anything else? Isn't the fact that I'm challenging myself and doing ANY type of physical activity positive and encouraging? You know, I have never been an athlete. NEVER. I flunked gym class every year and was taking a freshman gym class as a senior. I had to beg the teacher for a D- so I could graduate. I was on the girls basketball team in 8th grade for 2 games. (I sucked.) I tried to run track in 9th grade - I was out there for one day and the coach (not so kindly) suggested that track is probably not the thing for me.

I have always wanted to be an athlete, but I lacked the mental part of it: and it IS mostly mental. In fact, I remember watching Vision Quest back in 1985, and there's Louden Swain; out running in his little silver suit while Journey sings 'Only The Young'  -- and I wanted to BE Louden Swain. I made a cassette tape with that song and a few other fist pumping anthems, popped it into my Walkman; and went out for a run. It was probably about a 2 minute run - but I did it. Unfortunately, I lacked the wisdom to realize that I wouldn't be able to hit the street and BE Louden in one day. I didn't know that if I had stuck with it, 2 minutes would've stretched to 20, then 30; and beyond. I only saw how I did on that first attempt, and I gave up. And that became the theme for my life; until a couple of years ago - when I really picked up the skating. Skating has given me the confidence I needed to expand my horizons. But where skating is my playtime and makes me feel like a little kid: all happy and carefree - running clears my head and soothes my soul. When I'm running, I find the rhythmic cadence of my foot falls and breathing to be extremely calming. I feel serene. It's beautiful. When I'm done and covered in sweat; my head is clear and my body is spent: I feel accomplished. This feeling is what I strive for - it's why I will do this. I have finally learned that physical fitness is a wonderful side effect of the mental enrichment that exercise brings.

So, as I close out this entry, a week out from turning 42 and with the mental tenacity to embrace the 16 weeks of half marathon training ahead of me - I begin a new Vision Quest. I think I may start a new blog for anyone who wishes to tag along with me.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I experienced something similar, although for different reasons. When in 2009 I skated my first marathon in 90 minutes, I was thrilled, but at the same time I knew that to improve I needed to push myself harder. The training part did not scare me one bit, but the intensity of the new way of racing, with more risks of falling and getting hurt that kind of ruined it for me. I fell a few times and it is never pleasant, of course, but falling in a pack is something that scare me more than a little.
    On another account, to skate pro in the women group means to be quite lonely as there are so few of them. That would depress me, most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your skating friends gave you a hard time. I say--do whatever makes you the most happy! It's not like you're quitting skating to take up Twinkie-eating...you're just adding another sport/fun activity/healthy addiction to your repertoire. There's plenty of room in the world for skating and running and swimming and biking and whatever. And it's especially nice that you've found something you enjoy that can be done in the winter! Good luck with the running, and maybe we'll cross paths in another inline race this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experience with inline skates is very nice..This seems to be my experience..I love to do skatting..

    ReplyDelete