Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bring on 2012 - My skating goals!

Well, I slept through the start of the new year, but it's all good. I don't think how you ring in the new year defines what you intend to do with it: I woke up to 2012 filled with ambition and plans!

I am still waiting on my custom Bont boots; they should be here within the next 15 days (and I can't hardly wait!!) I got my frames and a set of Bont 105mm mint high rollers so I just need the boots!

These frames are a work of art - IMO.. ;)


My skating goals for 2012:


  • Miles: 1500
  • Events:  3 - possibly 4. The events I for sure would like to participate in are Texas Road Rash (Round Rock TX - April 21st), Napa Valley (Napa Valley CA - July 8th), and Northshore (Duluth MN - September 15th). My maybe events include Rolling on the River (Grand Forks ND - August 25th) and the Minneapolis half marathon (August 5th). - Of course, this is all contingent upon $$$$...
  • Marathon Time: 1:25. (This is about 9 minutes faster than my Northshore official time of 1:34.02) 
  • Do at least one race at the pro level. I just think this would be really fun and challenging!
  • Indoor: I will be starting indoor skating on January 15th - I wanted to wait for the Bonts before starting. I have indoor wheels so once I get my boots I will be ready to go! The main things I hope to accomplish with indoor are - learning cross overs, getting more comfortable w/ pack skating, working on my form, and stopping without a brake. I figured that transitioning from a rec skate to a true speed skate would be a little less daunting in the controlled environment of an indoor rink. I hope I am correct in that assumption!
  • Outdoor: Once again my outdoor goals are basically skating 3-4x per week; 12-20 miles on weeknights; 25-35 on weekends. My intentions are to work on technique, building endurance; and of course - getting faster. (Of course, this is all contingent upon the weather - I won't be able to really get into this routine until March/April.)
My general fitness goals are the same as they always are; weight training 3x a week, and getting myself lean and tight. I will be skating in a skin suit this year; I do not want to look like a jelly donut wrapped in saran wrap! My primary struggles are with motivation - and nutrition. My two main issues when it comes to nutrition are willpower and cravings. I have gotten myself to the point of no longer eating nor craving greasy fast food; but sweets still stand as the number 1 barrier to my success. I need to find healthy, satisfying alternatives to keep me on track.

After a slow start, 2011 was a moderately successful year for me. I skated 1380 miles (my goal was 1000) I skated 3 skating events (my goal was 1) and I managed to place in two of those events!! I made a TON of new friends, and being in contact with other skaters motivated me more than anything!! The year didn't quite end the way I had hoped it would, but overall I am very happy with how it all turned out! 

So. Thus begins my 2012 journey. I hope that all of my friends find and maintain direction on their chosen paths. It is so easy to get side tracked; the key is finding your way back. Happy Skating!!

EDIT - I am currently registered for Texas Road Rash, Napa Valley, and Northshore. Hope to fit one more in there!

1 comment: