Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Monday, October 3, 2011

Georgia on my mind...

So, Athens to Atlanta is in 6 days... I wasn't planning on doing this event until next year - but I was told there might not BE a next year, so I signed up. I think if I would have had another year I might be able to do one of the longer distances, but as it is I'm only signed up for the 38 mile stretch.

Only... Who am I kidding? I've skated 38 miles ONCE. I did it, and still managed to maintain a 14 mph average; but it was lonely. And I was pretty wiped by the end of it; and my arches were really tight. I cannot imagine doing an additional 49 miles on top of that - or even another 14! So yeah, 38 miles will be a real challenge for me. I just want to do it in under two and a half hours. That's my goal. (I did it in 2:42.49 here, so 2:30 is feasible.)

I had planned on skating 3 times this week but believe it or not; I'm feeling a little burned out. So I've decided to pack up my skates and do some other stuff this week. I don't think I'll lose any of my conditioning by taking a week off. I skated on Saturday with my husband; we tooled along at 8.7 mph for about 4 miles; then he turned around and I cranked up the juice to knock out a couple more miles before catching back up with him right before he got to the car. I keep hoping he decides he wants speed skates too... It would be awesome to have a regular skating partner. But you can't force your passions; no matter how badly you wish you could. We all have our thing.

Me on my first pair of 'blades' - 1996... Skating the Cherry Creek trail with my buddy Erica...


Erica!



Hahah, those old photos crack me up... Anyways...

The fate of the Houston marathon is still up in the air but I'm hoping it comes through. Quite a few of my online skater buddies are planning on skating it and I'm really looking forward to meeting them! We should know by the end of this week... After Houston, I will transition out of training mode, and skate just for fun any time I can. I am ready to shift my focus to some winter activities and take a break from skating. I feel like I skated pretty hard this year and I have grown a LOT! I'm very pleased and anxious to see what's in store for me in 2012. My plans for winter include snowshoeing, snowboarding, maybe some ice skating; and some cross country skiing... and lots of running... blaah. but I need the endurance....

I'm also tossing around the idea of buying a pair of custom Bonts, I have gotten so much advice on what skates to upgrade to that it's making my head spin!! I have talked with three skate reps who sell skates and got three different views about what to do next... I know which ones I like the looks of, and I know that upgrading to a true speed skate is the natural progression of the sport; especially with the goals I have in mind for next year. (I am all about getting faster... I want to have great form and more speed!!) My goals for the marathons next year are all about time. Me vs. myself. I want to kick some serious ass. So I have some ideas about that... But deciding on that level of an investment will take some thinking. If I do it, I'm going all out. No messing around with anything in between. I plan on attending Napa Valley, Apostle Islands, and Northshore for sure; with the Texas Road Rash as a maybe...

So my next update should be the A2A recap!!!
Happy Trails!!

No comments:

Post a Comment