Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Friday, July 27, 2012

Northshore Bound and other cool news!

Skating Northshore - 2011


Well, true to form, things are looking up again! I knew I just had to ride out the crappy stuff to get back to the good stuff. On the health front, things are much better, I have no major concerns so I can stop being so focused on it. I felt a weight lifted off of my shoulders just by hearing the doctor say 'all good - don't need to see you again for a year...' After my appointment I decided to play hooky and went skating! I'm feeling like I've lost a bit of conditioning but I don't think it'll take that long to build it back up again. I skated 20 miles on Tuesday, my feet felt great until I started getting tired. I was very aware of the correlation between feeling tired/form going to crap/feet starting to hurt. Noted. I have the pinching, binding, and painful areas of the boots finally adjusted, I've got the frames adjusted - now I just need to maintain good form all the way through and my feet should be fine! Yesterday I skated 15.6 miles and felt really strong. It was so nice to finish a skate feeling happy and exhilarated again! I've missed that. It makes me want to get out again...

Another huge incentive for my improved mood is a sponsorship by Ezeefit! Ezeefit makes the booties that SAVED my feet last year and continue to do so this year. I am proud and honored to skate for a company that makes a product I truly believe in!! I'm excited to get a set of the palm slider gloves too - a must have for sure!! They also have jerseys, shorts, leg/arm warmers and rain boot covers - you just never know when you'll need them... We are an off-shoot of the original team, as most of us are new to the sport. I'm very excited to skate for a team, the team is comprised of Billy (who I met after Northshore last year) Brian (who I skated with at Napa) and Ami (who I will be meeting in Duluth!!) We are all pretty stoked about this!! It has completely reinvigorated me. I am very appreciative of Glenn for seeing something in me that made him feel that I deserved this. ( still feel like a baby fawn trying to hobble across a frozen lake most days when I skate!)

The Northshore inline marathon is about 1 1/2 months away and I'm so excited to do that one again! Such a fun race!! I'm back in training mode, I think I will set my goal for 1:30 - I still do not feel 100% confident on the Bonts and it makes me a bit cautious. If I am completely comfortable by September maybe I'll change that number but for now, I feel that I can come close to it. I cannot wait to see all of my skate friends again!!!

..... As I skated along my trail last night, enjoying the warm summer evening and feeling completely at peace; my mind went back to the way I felt at my very first skating event last year - the Minnesota half marathon. The way my heart just lifted at the sight of so many other skaters - after skating solo for so long and feeling like an endangered species. The connection I felt with total strangers as we lined up, the camaraderie and support received while skating; the joy and feeling of accomplishment upon crossing the finish line. I will admit, I am one of those people who craves a sense of belonging; I love being a part of something big - something special. Feeling like I am a part of this amazing skate community is really important to me. I make more and more friends after each event, and I love that! I love watching my friends grow and excel at the sport, I feel pride and excitement at their successes; I feel honored to be a part of their journey. I am not alone with my passion anymore, and it has truly changed my life.



3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear things are looking up. I am a bit jealous about the sponsorship. Congrats there too. That reminds me, I told Glenn I would review his bearings. Need to get that done. Sorry I am going to miss NSIM. I hope you guys kill it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your journey as I am doing that in cycling right now! Glad you'll be in Duluth! I hope I can get in marathon shape by then so i can go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is very nice to read..This is very informative..

    inline skates

    ReplyDelete