Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Saturday, July 2, 2011

When you reach your goal - set a new one...

Today was an AWESOME day for me!!! I started my skate at about 9:00 am: the weather was PERFECT! Clear skies, sunshine, a slight breeze. There were a ton of cyclists on the trail so that made for some tricky maneuvers but I still skated 26.56 miles; and I did it in under two hours... GOAL CRUSHED! (time was 1:57:07) - I averaged 13.4 mph. If you click on the below link you can see the map and my stats:

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/oXnfh438rS8

I started this year with a goal of 700 miles skated for the entire year. I'm currently at 637 - so I changed that to 1000 miles. Then I made a goal to skate a half marathon (registered/airfare booked/hotel booked: this goal will be accomplished next month.) Then I decided that just participating wasn't good enough - I want to do it in under an hour. My current personal best time for a half marathon was accomplished today: 56:53... Then I decided I don't want to wait until next year to do a full marathon, I want to do one this year so I'm waiting for registration to open for the Houston inline marathon. My goal for that is to do it in under 2 hours. I think that is definitely achievable!

I was told by a dear friend that you can train for an inline skating marathon 'in just two weeks'. Sure, if you just want to just show up and complete it. But that isn't good enough for me. I want to show up, skate hard - maybe finish with a few of the elite skaters??? Eh, that might be a bit lofty but I sure as heck want to be killing that finish line well in front of the rest of the recreational skaters...

I have to say, I feel really good right now. I feel fit, I feel healthy; and I feel accomplished. I'm excited by my progress and looking forward to seeing just how far I can take it. This is definitely my best skate season yet! Next skate is Monday morning; I'm thinking a distance recovery skate w/o focusing on speed - just form.

Happy trails!

No comments:

Post a Comment