Skating

Skating
A2A, 38 mile finish line; 2011

Saturday, June 22, 2013

One Size Does NOT Fit All.


When I strapped on my first pair of inline skates 18 years ago - I didn't ask anyone how to skate. Or how to stop. I skated around my garage until I had a grasp on the balance thing; then I took off down a trail. I had NO IDEA how to stop. I had to do a scary drop and roll while crossing a busy street; I was picking gravel out of my shoulder for two days! This is what made me slow down and take the time to learn how to use my heel brake. I taught myself. I fell a lot those early days, but eventually I got it and skating became really, really fun. I didn't wear pads or a  helmet; I wore cut-offs and tank tops with a baseball hat. It wasn't exercise, I skated based on TIME, no clue as to how far I was going or how fast; "I skated an hour today". I just wanted to be outside having fun!

Flash forward to 2011, and I discovered this whole world of skaters out there - and actual skate events. And that began a new learning and growing process for me. I used to get so frustrated when I would see other skaters pass me on the trail; so I kept buying faster bearings. I had no idea that it was actually small wheels holding me back. Bit by bit I began to learn new things to take my skating to the next level. I have some really amazing skate friends who are super passionate and knowledgeable - but I soon became overwhelmed with information. 

I have to admit; I'm hesitant to write this blog. I don't want to upset anyone. But there are some things that have been really bothering me. They were just nagging thoughts until I began running. The running community is so different from the skating community. The running mentality is 'whatever works for you'. So I run a 5K with a full fuel belt? I'm not judged for that. I feel embarrassed because I think I run slow: I get nothing but positive feedback and encouragement. I wear spandex shorts instead of traditional running shorts - nobody bats an eye because nobody CARES. Whatever works for you. I have questions about socks, or compression gear, or chafing - the advice I get always starts with 'well, this is what works for me; it may or may not work for you, but you could try it'. I have NEVER had anyone say 'do it this way or you are a sucky runner and a loser'. Never. I ran a race where I saw a dude running in jeans and a t-shirt! I didn't judge, hey man, whatever works for YOU.

Skating is not like that. Ditch the visor on your helmet, you look like a weenie. Ditch your brake, real skaters don't need a brake. It's a very judgmental sport. It makes me feel sad because it is a dying sport. You would think that with as small of a community as we are, we would embrace everyone who chooses to put inline skates on; regardless of their gear, or the size of their wheels, or if they wear full pads and need a heel brake. I mean honestly, why should it even matter? I had to stop visiting an online forum because the attacks on anyone doing things deemed 'incorrect' by other skaters depressed me. I just don't get it. I narrowed down the number of people I seek advice from and started only going to them. My friends. I still get unsolicited advice from skaters whenever I post something they don't agree with; and that pisses me off. If I want advice, I'll ask someone I trust in my circle. I've been on the speed skates for a year and a half; I've skated 6 marathons, 1 half marathon, and the 38 mile portion of Athens to Atlanta. (I also skated the half marathon, my first full marathon, and A2A on rec skates with a heel brake.) I get it, I know what I'm capable of, I know what makes me uncomfortable and what makes me feel confident. I'm done with conforming to the ideal, it's time that I do WHAT WORKS FOR ME.

First and foremost, I am getting a brake for my skates. I don't give a fuck if it makes me look like a dweeb. I have lost so much of my confidence when I trail skate that I don't even look forward to it anymore. I automatically start imagining all of the worst case scenarios that can come up; and I feel reluctant. And fearful. I do know how to t-stop and snow plow. I do. BUT - I cannot do it at high speed. So guess what I do? Yep. I skate SLOW. Not conducive to training for a RACE. I won't wear a brake while I race, I feel super confident when I know I won't be dealing with the same kind of traffic that congests the trail I skate. But for the conditions I train in, a brake makes sense. 

I'm not interested in being an elite skater. I am not interested in going pro. I skate because it's fun. And I enjoy it. I like racing but I will never be super fast. I'm totally okay with this. My unsolicited advice to the judgmental skaters is to think about what you're doing. What works for you may or may not work for someone else, so do you really have to make them feel bad if they choose to do it a different way? People like to have choices and options; there really truly is no one size fits all when it comes to skating. We should encourage each other to enjoy the sport at our respective levels. Don't be such a skate snob. And if putting a stupid brake on my skate will help me regain my confidence and start enjoying my trail skates again; then it is more than worth having a select few skaters deem me a loser. The fact that I'm out there at all tells me that I'm not.

Hmm... My Rudy Project helmet actually came with a really cool visor. I may just throw that back on too....

3 comments:

  1. Fair play Christine!!! Inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your skating journey seems awesome...skateboard shop

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are motivating others to join this field...aggressive skates

    ReplyDelete